Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus -AssetLink
Algosensey|Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 03:28:51
The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted Tuesday to ban student cellphone usage on campuses during school hours, joining a growing number of school boards to take such action and becoming the largest district in the U.S. to do so.
The ban's purpose is to prevent the potentially negative impact that phones have on the mental health and well-being of students.
The vote, however, doesn't automatically mean the ban will be implemented as staff is still consulting with stakeholders and experts before specifics are set in stone.
"The phone-free school policy says from the moment students walk into class to the end of the day, they shouldn't have their phones," said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. "Let's have kids interact with one another, free from the distractions that we know are harming mental health, their academics."
The resolution by the board of the second largest school district in the U.S. cites research suggesting that students have less meaningful interactions with classmates and exhibit less propensity for learning when overly involved with their phones.
"Research indicates that excessive cell phone use impacts adolescents mental health and well-being and is associated with increased stress, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, feelings of aggression, and suicidal thoughts," said the Order of Business for Tuesday's meeting.
The proposal referenced other bans that have been implemented, including in Florida, where public schools began blocking student cellphone use during instructional time and prohibited access to social media while using district WiFi in 2023. Since then, districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, Vermont, Ohio, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have adopted similar restrictions, according to the LAUSD resolution.
Over the next four months, the district will develop a set of policies for social media and cell phone use during school hours on every LAUSD campus. The new policy would go into effect at the beginning of 2025.
Some parents have voiced opposition to a ban, noting that they would prefer their children to have access to their phones in the event of an emergency.
"They should have it for protection once they leave the school campus," said Regina Schoetz, an LAUSD parent who said she partially agrees with the motion, but doesn't think that the ultimate decision should fall on the district.
"I don't think there should be a big ban on [cellphones] or lock them away," she said. "I think it's up to the parent."
Melvoin says that the latest policy update to cellphone usage was implemented in 2011 and only calls for no phones during class time.
On Tuesday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his own plans on the topic, citing the mental health risks of social media on children.
"As the Surgeon General affirmed, social media is harming the mental health of our youth," Newsom said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the Legislature to restrict the use of smartphones during the school day. When children and teens are in school, they should be focused on their studies — not their screens."
veryGood! (1885)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- White Green: Summary of Global Stock Markets in 2023 and Outlook for 2024
- Is there lead in Lunchables? What to know after Consumer Reports released guidance to USDA
- Bakery outlets close across New England and New York
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Shohei Ohtani's interpreter Ippei Mizuhara charged with stealing $16 million from MLB star
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Go To Extremes
- The Best Mother's Day Gifts for the Disney Mom in Your Life
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Prosecutors: South Carolina prison supervisor took $219,000 in bribes; got 173 cellphones to inmates
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Hawaii says it’s safe to surf and swim in Lahaina’s coastal waters after wildfire
- Watch: Travis Kelce chugs beer before getting Cincinnati diploma at live 'New Heights' show
- Louisiana lawmakers reject minimum wage raise and protections for LGBTQ+ people in the workplace
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- The Amanda Show Star Raquel Lee Bolleau Speaks Out After Quiet on Set Docuseries
- 'Brandy Hellville & the Cult of Fast Fashion' doc examines controversial retailer Brandy Melville
- These Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead Secrets Are Done, Man
Recommendation
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
The Best Mother's Day Gifts for the Disney Mom in Your Life
Hundreds of drugs are in short supply around the U.S., pharmacists warn
Several writers decline recognition from PEN America in protest over its Israel-Hamas war stance
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Watch 'Crumbley Trials' trailer: New doc explores Michigan school shooter's parents cases
US Steel shareholders approve takeover by Japan’s Nippon Steel opposed by Biden administration
The Talk Canceled After 15 Seasons