Current:Home > InvestBooted out of NBA, former player Jontay Porter due in court in betting case -AssetLink
Booted out of NBA, former player Jontay Porter due in court in betting case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 20:04:47
NEW YORK (AP) — Former NBA player Jontay Porter is due in court Wednesday to face a federal criminal case tied to the betting scandal that got him banned from the league earlier this year.
Court records show the former Toronto Raptors center is scheduled for an arraignment and “plea agreement hearing.” Prosecutors haven’t specified the charge or charges, except to say in a brief court document that it’s a felony case.
Porter’s lawyer hasn’t responded to messages seeking comment since the court paperwork was filed last week. The attorney has previously said that Porter was cooperating with authorities while being treated for a gambling addiction.
Last week’s skeletal court filing showed the case against Porter is related to an ongoing prosecution of four other men. The four have been arraigned on a charge of conspiracy to commit wire fraud but haven’t yet entered any pleas.
Those men are charged with scheming to profit off tips from an NBA player that he was going to exit two games early. They or their relatives used the knowledge to place big-winning bets that the athlete would do poorly in those games, according to a court complaint filed when they were charged in June.
The complaint didn’t name the player. But it said he had spoken to investigators in hopes of getting a plea deal and sentencing break “in the event he is criminally charged.”
According to the complaint, one of the four men pressed the player to clear up gambling debts by prematurely pulling out of games so that bets on him underperforming would pay off.
In a message responding to the man’s instructions, the player wrote that if he didn’t carry out the plan, “u hate me and if I don’t get u 8k by Friday you’re coming to Toronto to beat me up.”
After tipping off some of the men, the player claimed injury or illness and withdrew from Jan. 26 and March 20 games after only minutes on the court, the complaint said.
Porter played only briefly on those dates before complaining he was hurt or sick and exiting the games. His points, rebounds and assists in both games fell below sportsbooks’ expectations.
After the NBA and others began investigating, the player messaged some of the men that they “might just get hit w a rico,” an apparent reference to the common acronym for a federal racketeering charge, according to the complaint against them. It said the player also asked the men whether they had deleted “all the stuff” from their phones.
The NBA’s probe found that Porter not only exited at least one game for gamblers’ sake but also wagered on NBA games in which he didn’t play. He once bet against his own team, the league said.
Porter averaged 4.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 26 games this season, including five starts. He also played in 11 games for the Memphis Grizzlies in the 2020-21 season.
The 24-year-old’s NBA salary was about $410,000.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Dog finds woman in cornfield, 2 days after she disappeared in Michigan crash
- Why the sell-off in bond markets could impact you
- England midfielder Lauren James handed two-match ban at World Cup
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Stock market today: Asian stocks decline after US inflation edges higher
- Gal Gadot enjoys 'messy' superspy life and being an Evil Queen: 'It was really juicy'
- Fund sued over grant program for Black women enlists prominent civil rights attorneys to fight back
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Maui shelters list: Maui High School, War Memorial among sites housing people threatened by fires
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Foundations seek to advance AI for good — and also protect the world from its threats
- 'Rust' movie weapons supervisor pleads not guilty to manslaughter
- Brody Jenner and Fiancée Tia Blanco Welcome First Baby
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'King Of The Hill' actor Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble, dies at 64
- Toyota recalls: Toyota Tundra, Hybrid pickups recalled for fuel leak, fire concerns
- Detroit police changing facial-recognition policy after pregnant woman says she was wrongly charged
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Terry Dubrow Speaks Out About Near-Death Blood Clot Scare and Signs You Should Look Out for
Threat of scaffolding collapse shuts down part of downtown Orlando, Florida
Harry Styles and Taylor Russell Cozy Up During London Outing
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Prosecutors say a California judge charged in his wife’s killing had 47 weapons in his house
D.C. United terminates Taxi Fountas' contract for using discriminatory language
Northern Ireland’s top police officer apologizes for ‘industrial scale’ data breach