Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video -AssetLink
SafeX Pro Exchange|Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:07:42
Sean "Diddy" Combs' key to New York City has officially been rescinded less than a year after it was issued.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams' office confirmed to USA TODAY on SafeX Pro ExchangeSunday that the key bestowed upon Diddy in September has been revoked after surveillance footage surfaced that shows the embattled rapper assaulting his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, in a hotel hallway in 2016.
In a letter sent to Diddy dated June 4, Adams said he was "deeply disturbed" by the video footage and asked him to immediately return the key.
"I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all survivors of domestic and gender-based violence," the mayor wrote in the letter, which was shared with USA TODAY. "Our city has worked tirelessly to make sure survivors are heard and seen by our administration."
The key to New York City is described as "a beloved symbol of civic recognition and gratitude reserved for individuals whose service to the public and the common good rises to the highest level of achievement."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But Adams said a committee recommended revoking the key from the music mogul, who since last year has faced multiple allegations of sexual assault.
According to Fabien Levy, deputy mayor for communications, Adams' office received the key back on June 10.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' legal issues:A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
Diddy, 54, was honored with the key to New York City in a ceremony held in Times Square on Sept. 15. "I'm a New York boy, and I just got to key to the city, and everything is just a little surreal right now," he said at the time.
While introducing Diddy, Adams said that "the bad boy of entertainment is getting the key to the city from the bad boy of politics."
Two months later, Ventura sued Diddy for alleged rape, abuse and sex trafficking, and the Bad Boy Records founder subsequently faced additional sexual abuse allegations. Ventura's suit was settled one day after being filed. Diddy's homes were later raided by law enforcement.
In May, surveillance video obtained by CNN showed Diddy assaulting Ventura at a hotel. After the footage's release, Diddy issued an apology without mentioning Ventura's name.
"My behavior on that video is inexcusable," he said. "I take full responsibility for my actions ... I'm disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, (and) I'm disgusted now."
Earlier this month, Howard University rescinded an honorary degree that was presented to Diddy in 2014.
“Mr. Combs' behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University's core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor," a Howard spokesperson said. "The university is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence."
Contributing: Minnah Arshad and Anika Reed, USA TODAY
veryGood! (2647)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Cash App to award $15M to users in security breach settlement: How to file a claim
- Get an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Banana Republic, 40% Off Brooklinen & More Deals
- Harris-Walz camo hat is having a moment. Could it be bigger than MAGA red?
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- See first look at Travis Kelce hosting 'Are You Smarter Than a Celebrity?'
- Christian Coleman, delayed by ban, finally gets shot at Olympic medal
- In late response, Vatican ‘deplores the offense’ of Paris Olympics’ opening ceremony tableau
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Teen Mom Stars Amber Portwood and Gary Shirley’s Daughter Leah Looks All Grown Up in Rare Photo
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Nelly arrested, allegedly 'targeted' with drug possession charge after casino outing
- Ohio woman claims she saw a Virgin Mary statue miracle, local reverend skeptical
- A win for the Harris-Walz ticket would also mean the country’s first Native American female governor
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 'Euphoria' star Hunter Schafer says co-star Dominic Fike cheated on her
- Google antitrust ruling may pose $20 billion risk for Apple
- France advances to play USA for men's basketball gold
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Former Uvalde schools police chief says he’s being ‘scapegoated’ over response to mass shooting
'Trad wives' controversy continues: TikTok star Nara Smith reacts to 'hateful' criticism
Maui remembers the 102 lost in the Lahaina wildfire with a paddle out 1 year after devastating blaze
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
‘Alien: Romulus’ actors battled lifelike creatures to bring the film back to its horror roots
Homeowners race to refinance as mortgage rates retreat from 23-year highs
Explorer’s family could have difficulty winning their lawsuit against Titan sub owner, experts say