Current:Home > Contact‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt -AssetLink
‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:49:48
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz, who set New York City on edge with late-night shootings in the 1970s, was denied parole after his twelfth board appearance.
Berkowitz, 70, was rejected after a Board of Parole prison interview on May 14, according to information listed on a state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision web site. Officials with the corrections agency would not provide additional information on Tuesday.
Berkowitz terrorized the city with a series of shootings that killed six people and wounded seven beginning in July 1976. The shooter targeted young women and couples sitting in cars. The papers called him the ”.44 Caliber Killer.” In taunting notes to police and a journalist, he called himself “Son of Sam” and said he received demonic messages to kill.
Berkowitz was arrested Aug. 10, 1977, a little more than a year after the first victim, Donna Lauria, was shot and killed in the Bronx.
The New York Police Department formed a 200-person task force to find the killer. The case was finally cracked after a witness reported a strange man on the street near the final shooting. Police checked traffic tickets that had been issued in the area and traced them to Berkowitz’s car and home in nearby Yonkers.
Berkowitz was sentenced in 1978 to the maximum prison term of 25 years to life for each of the six slayings. He first became eligible for parole in 2002.
Berkowitz has since expressed remorse and said he is a born-again Christian. He is being held at Shawangunk Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison about 60 miles (97 kilometers) north of New York City.
veryGood! (846)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Nevada judge who ran for state treasurer pleads not guilty to federal fraud charges
- Canada wants 12 new submarines to bolster Arctic defense as NATO watches Russia and China move in
- Cincinnati Reds sign No. 2 pick Chase Burns to draft-record $9.25 million bonus
- Average rate on 30
- The bodies of 4 Pakistanis killed in the attack on a mosque in Oman have been returned home
- NASA beams Missy Elliott song to Venus
- Vermont farmers take stock after losing crops to flooding two years in a row
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Cardi B slams Joe Budden for comments on unreleased album
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Remains of medieval palace where popes lived possibly found in Rome
- Back-to-school shopping 2024 sales tax holidays: See which 17 states offer them.
- U.S. stock trading unaffected by IT outage, but Crowdstrike shares tumble
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- U.S. stock trading unaffected by IT outage, but Crowdstrike shares tumble
- A massive tech outage is causing worldwide disruptions. Here’s what we know
- Hot, inland California cities face the steepest water cuts with new conservation mandate
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Team USA sprinter Quincy Hall fires back at Noah Lyles for 4x400 relay snub
From 'Twister' to 'Titanic,' these are the 20 best disaster movies ever
Tennessee will remove HIV-positive people convicted of sex work from violent sex offender list
'Most Whopper
Best Target College Deals: Save Up to 72% on Select Back-to-School Essentials, $8 Lamps & More
Blake Anderson calls investigation that led to his firing as Utah State football coach a ‘sham’
Climate protesters steer clear of Republican National Convention