Current:Home > ScamsPlans to demolish Texas church where gunman opened fire in 2017 draw visitors back to sanctuary -AssetLink
Plans to demolish Texas church where gunman opened fire in 2017 draw visitors back to sanctuary
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:43:32
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas (AP) — Plans to tear down a small Texas church where a gunman in 2017 killed more than two dozen worshippers drew visitors Tuesday as a last-minute push was made to stop the demolition.
Leaders of First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs have not publicly announced when it plans to demolish the sanctuary, where authorities put the number of dead from the shooting at 26 people, including a pregnant woman and her unborn baby, in what remains the deadliest church shooting in U.S. history.
Roxanna Avants, 71, moved to Sutherland Springs after the shooting and said she was at the church Tuesday to support those who lost loved ones in the shooting. Avants said even if people don’t want to walk past a reminder of a tragedy, the church is still a house of God and a memorial for those who died in 2017.
On Tuesday, a Texas judge approved a temporary restraining order sought by some families to delay the demolition. The order signed by Judge Jennifer Dillingham instructs the church to not to begin demolition and to appear before the court later this month.
But Sam Fugate II, an attorney for the families that sought the restraining order, said the church had still not been served the order as of Tuesday afternoon and expressed concern that the demolition could still proceed.
Christine Earnhardt, a secretary for the church, said Tuesday that she could not confirm whether a demolition was scheduled and that the church had no plans to comment or make a statement.
Following the shooting, the sanctuary was turned into a memorial. The interior was painted white and chairs with the names of those who were killed were placed there, the lawsuit said.
The church then voted in 2021 to tear down the building, which opponents have contended was against the wishes of many surviving family members. A new church was completed for the congregation about a year and a half after the shooting.
“We’re not after money. We’re after what’s fair,” Fugate said. “We want our clients to say their peace about whether the church should stand and take another vote.”
Amber Holder, a church member who is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, said she wanted to make sure survivors of the shooting and the victims’ families have a vote. “So many victims’ families were told: ‘You’re not allowed to vote because you’re no longer a member here,’” Holder said.
Holder said she wasn’t at the service the day of the shooting but got there shortly after. As a teen she was taken in by the family of the pastor at the time, whose 14-year-old daughter, Annabelle Pomeroy, was among those killed.
Terrie Smith, president of the Sutherland Springs Community Association, said that as news of the upcoming demolition spread in the community of less than 1,000 people, those she had spoken with were “devastated.” Smith said that a woman who was like a daughter to her — Joann Ward — and her two daughters, ages 7 and 5, were among those killed in the shooting.
Smith, who is not a member of the church, said she often visits the memorial sanctuary. “It’s just a beautiful, beautiful memorial the way it is now,” she said.
“You feel the comfort of everybody that was lost there,” Smith said.
Communities across the U.S. have grappled with what should happen to the sites of mass shootings. Last month, demolition began on the three-story building where 17 people died in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. After the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, it was torn down and replaced.
Tops Friendly Markets in Buffalo, New York, and the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina, where racist mass shootings happened, both reopened. In Colorado, Columbine High School still stands — though its library, where most of the victims were killed, was replaced.
In Texas, officials closed Robb Elementary in Uvalde after the 2022 shooting there and plan to demolish it.
___
Stengle contributed to this report from Dallas. Associated Press reporter Paul J. Weber contributed to this report from Austin.
veryGood! (664)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Mike MacCracken
- Sophia Culpo Addresses Unintentional Weight Loss After Braxton Berrios Breakup
- These Are the Celeb Exes Who Could Run Into Each Other Inside the Met Gala 2023
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Rapper MoneySign Suede Dead at 22 After Being Stabbed in Prison Shower, His Lawyer Says
- Grown Up Princess Charlotte Looks Just Like Mom Kate Middleton in 8th Birthday Portrait
- Today’s Climate: April 26, 2010
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Jennifer Lopez Is the Picture of Sexy Sophistication Baring Skin at Met Gala 2023
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- 24 Things Every Wine Lover Should Own
- Granger Smith Sends Support to Shaquil Barrett After Daughter's Drowning Death
- Savannah Chrisley Reveals She Once Dated Colton Underwood
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Get a $65 Deal on $142 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Skincare
- Get Budge-Proof, Natural-Looking Eyebrows With This 61% Off Deal From It Cosmetics
- Prince William's Role in King Charles III's Coronation Revealed
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Go Behind the Scenes of Met Gala 2023 With These Photos of Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk and More
The Lip Gloss Cheek Makeup Trend Is the Easiest Way to Elevate Your Blush Game
The Truth About Emma Watson's 5-Year Break From Acting
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Kate Middleton Makes Rare Comments About Princess Diana
Save 36% on the It Cosmetics Buildable, Blendable, Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Sticks
Wind Power to Nuclear, Team Obama Talks Up a Diverse Energy Portfolio