Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Missile fired from rebel-controlled Yemen misses a container ship in Bab el-Mandeb Strait -AssetLink
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Missile fired from rebel-controlled Yemen misses a container ship in Bab el-Mandeb Strait
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 02:06:30
DUBAI,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center United Arab Emirates (AP) — A missile fired from territory controlled by Houthi rebels in Yemen missed a container ship traveling through the crucial Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Thursday, a U.S. defense official said, the latest attack threatening shipping in the crucial maritime chokepoint.
The attack saw the missile splash harmlessly in the water near the Maersk Gibraltar, a Hong Kong-flagged container ship that had been traveling from Salalah, Oman, to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the official said.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters. The official’s comments came after the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which monitors Mideast shipping lanes, put out an alert warning of an incident in the strait, which separates East Africa from the Arabian Peninsula.
The Maersk Gibraltar had also been hailed over the radio by “an entity claiming to be the ‘Yemeni Navy’ ahead of the missile being launched towards the vessel,” the private intelligence firm Ambrey said. “The ‘Yemeni Navy’ demanded the vessel alter course to head for Yemen. Ambrey assessed the entity to be” the Houthis.
Maersk, one of the world’s biggest shippers, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Thursday’s attack marks just the latest in the seaborne attacks attributed to the Houthis as part of their pressure campaign over the Israel-Hamas war raging in the Gaza Strip.
Two missiles fired from Houthi-held territory missed a commercial tanker loaded with Indian-manufactured jet fuel near the key Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Wednesday. Also near the strait, a missile fired by Houthi rebels on Monday night slammed into a Norwegian-flagged tanker in the Red Sea.
The Houthis have carried out a series of attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and launched drones and missiles targeting Israel. In recent days, they have threatened to attack any vessel they believe is either going to or coming from Israel, though several vessels targeted had no apparent link at all.
Global shipping has increasingly been targeted as the Israel-Hamas war threatens to become a wider regional conflict — even during a brief pause in fighting during which Hamas exchanged hostages for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. The collapse of the truce and the resumption of a punishing Israeli ground offensive and airstrikes on Gaza have raised the risk of more sea attacks.
The Bab el-Mandeb Strait is only 29 kilometers (18 miles) wide at its narrowest point, limiting traffic to two channels for inbound and outbound shipments, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Nearly 10% of all oil traded at sea passes through it. An estimated $1 trillion in goods pass through the strait annually.
In November, Houthis seized a vehicle transport ship linked to Israel in the Red Sea off Yemen. The rebels still hold the vessel near the port city of Hodeida. Separately, a container ship owned by an Israeli billionaire came under attack by a suspected Iranian drone in the Indian Ocean.
A separate, tentative cease-fire between the Houthis and a Saudi-led coalition fighting on behalf of Yemen’s exiled government has held for months despite that country’s long war. That’s raised concerns that any wider conflict in the sea — or a potential reprisal strike from Western forces — could reignite those tensions in the Arab world’s poorest nation.
veryGood! (99739)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- What to know about Elon Musk’s ‘free speech’ feud with a Brazilian judge
- 8 found in unlicensed plastic surgery recovery home in Florida, woman charged: Reports
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Files Temporary Restraining Order Against Estranged Husband Ryan Anderson
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Harvard again requiring standardized test scores for those seeking admission
- Tom Brady is 'not opposed' coming out of retirement to help NFL team in need of QB
- Two Alabama inmates returning from work-release jobs die in crash
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Jewel Breaks Silence on Kevin Costner Dating Rumors
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- What American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson Got Right and Wrong About His Life
- Dead whale on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island is first of the year, stranding group says
- Kansas has some of the nation’s lowest benefits for injured workers. They’ll increase in July
- Small twin
- OJ Simpson, fallen football hero acquitted of murder in ‘trial of the century,’ dies at 76
- MLB Misery Index: AL Central limping early with White Sox, Guardians injuries
- Alaska House passes budget with roughly $2,275 payments to residents, bill goes to Senate
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Masters tee times for second round at Augusta National as cut line looms
Melrose Place Reboot Starring Heather Locklear, Laura Leighton and Daphne Zuniga Is in the Works
Absolutely 100 Percent Not Guilty: 25 Bizarre Things You Forgot About the O.J. Simpson Murder Trial
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
OJ Simpson's Bronco chase riveted America. The memory is haunting, even after his death.
Rashee Rice didn't have to be a warning for NFL players. The Chiefs WR became one anyway.
OJ Simpson, fallen football hero acquitted of murder in ‘trial of the century,’ dies at 76