Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Judge declines to dismiss Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter in fatal 'Rust' shooting -AssetLink
Burley Garcia|Judge declines to dismiss Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter in fatal 'Rust' shooting
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 22:16:09
An involuntary manslaughter charge against Alec Baldwin will not be Burley Garciadropped in the 2021 fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western film "Rust."
Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer sided with New Mexico special prosecutors Friday and denied Baldwin's lawyers' motion to dismiss the grand jury indictment from January.
The judgment comes a week after Sommer heard arguments from Baldwin's attorney, Alex Spiro, and special prosecutor Kari Morrissey during a May 17 hearing.
In March, Baldwin's legal team filed the motion to dismiss the indictment, in which they accused state prosecutors of "unfairly stacking the deck" against the "30 Rock" actor and engaging in "an abuse of the system, and an abuse of an innocent person whose rights have been trampled to the extreme."
"The grand jury did not receive the favorable or exculpatory testimony and documents that the state had an obligation to present," the motion read. "Nor was the grand jury told it had a right to review and the obligation to request this information."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
In late January, Baldwin pleaded not guilty to the involuntary manslaughter charge. The case was scheduled to go to trial beginning July 10.
In March, a jury found "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Hutchins, a 42-year-old cinematographer. Gutierrez-Reed was later sentenced to 18 months in prison – the maximum the charge carried – with her lawyers vowing to appeal the case.
What prosecutors claimed:Alec Baldwin exhibited 'bullyish behavior' on 'Rust' set, changed his story
New Mexico prosecutors claimed Baldwin showed 'bullyish behavior' on 'Rust' set
The special prosecutors in Baldwin's case filed a response to Baldwin's motion to dismiss last month. In the 316-page document, state prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis claimed Baldwin exhibited "bullyish behavior on set" and changed his story to cast blame on others.
In their 316-page filing, prosecutors painted Baldwin as a demanding actor and producer of the project who flouted safety precautions, did not heed directions from his director and changed his story about what happened during the shooting.
"Every time Mr. Baldwin spoke, a different version of events emerged from his mouth and his later statements contradicted his previous statements," prosecutors wrote.
What happened to Hannah Gutierrez-Reed:How the "Rust" armorer's trial concluded
They also said Baldwin's defense team is working "to ensure that the case is not heard on its merits, and if it is heard on its merits, to discredit the prosecution, investigation, and witnesses in the media so that a conviction becomes unlikely for reasons that have nothing to do with Mr. Baldwin's criminal culpability."
Morrissey and Lewis claimed "Mr. Baldwin was in charge" as the lead actor and producer on the project, and "in addition to rushing the cast and crew, Mr. Baldwin was frequently screaming and cursing at himself, at crew members or at no one and not for any particular reason."
They wrote, "To watch Mr. Baldwin's conduct on the set of Rust is to witness a man who has absolutely no control of his own emotions and absolutely no concern for how his conduct effects those around him. Witnesses have testified that it was this exact conduct that contributed to safety compromises on set."
A combination of 24-year-old armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's "negligence and inexperience" and Baldwin's "complete lack of concern for the safety of those around him" on set contributed to the death of 42-year-old Hutchins, according to prosecutors.
Baldwin was pointing a .45 caliber single-action army revolver at Hutchins during rehearsals on the movie set near Santa Fe, New Mexico on Oct. 21, 2021, when the gun went off, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintained that he never pulled the trigger.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Target sales dip first time in 6 years amid Pride Month backlash, inflation
- South Korea’s spy agency says North Korea is preparing ICBM tests, spy satellite launch
- Here’s the Secret To Getting Bouncy, Long-Lasting Curls With Zero Effort
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Looking for technology tips? We've got you covered with these shortcuts and quick fixes.
- Iranian filmmaker faces prison after showing movie at Cannes, Martin Scorsese speaks out
- Oklahoma Supreme Court will consider Tulsa Race Massacre reparations case
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 'Dreams come true': Wave to Earth talks sold-out US tour, songwriting and band's identity
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- 'Extraordinarily dangerous:' Rare flesh-eating bacteria kills 3 in New York, Connecticut
- Dancing With the Stars' Emma Slater Shares Reason Behind Sasha Farber Divorce
- Nicaraguan government seizes highly regarded university from Jesuits
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Mortgage rates just hit their highest since 2002
- Niger’s neighbors running out of options as defense chiefs meet to discuss potential military force
- California town of Paradise deploys warning sirens as 5-year anniversary of deadly fire approaches
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
On 2nd anniversary of U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, girls' rights remain under siege
2 men arrested, accused of telemarketing fraud that cheated people of millions of dollars
2023-24 NBA schedule: Defending champion Nuggets meet Lakers in season tipoff Oct. 24
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Watch: Antonio Gates gets emotional after surprise Chargers Hall of Fame induction
Colts star Jonathan Taylor 'excused' from training camp due to 'personal matter'
Minneapolis advances measure for minimum wage to Uber and Lyft drivers