Current:Home > NewsAlec Baldwin pleads not guilty to refiled manslaughter charge in "Rust" shooting -AssetLink
Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to refiled manslaughter charge in "Rust" shooting
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 22:25:23
Actor Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to a refiled count of involuntary manslaughter in the 2021 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western film "Rust" in New Mexico.
According to court documents filed Wednesday in Sante Fe County court, the 65-year-old Baldwin waived his right to an arraignment — originally scheduled for Thursday — and pleaded not guilty to the charge, which was brought earlier this month by New Mexico special prosecutors.
On Oct. 21, 2021, on a film set outside Santa Fe, the 42-year-old Hutchins was struck and killed by a live round when a prop gun being held by Baldwin discharged during a rehearsal. Joel Souza, the film's director, was also wounded.
Baldwin has repeatedly denied that he pulled the gun's trigger. However, a forensics report released by prosecutors last August determined it was likely the trigger had been pulled.
"Although Alec Baldwin repeatedly denies pulling the trigger, given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver," firearms expert Lucian Haag Lucien Haag wrote in the report.
Baldwin and the film's armor, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, were both charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting in January 2023.
About four months later, special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis said the involuntary manslaughter charge against Baldwin would be dropped based on the revelation of "new facts" in the case that demanded more analysis.
A grand jury then indicted Baldwin, who is a producer on the film, on a count of involuntary manslaughter on Jan. 19 of this year. According to the indictment, the charge was based on additional testimony from seven witnesses given to a New Mexico grand jury.
Baldwin is not allowed to consume alcohol and cannot leave the U.S. without written permission from the court, according to a conditional release order signed by the judge Wednesday. He is also only allowed to have contact with potential witnesses as it pertains to "business matters" to do with the "Rust" movie.
The initial involuntary manslaughter charges brought against Gutierrez-Reed were not dropped. Last June, prosecutors also brought an additional count of felony fourth-degree tampering with evidence against her. She is expected to go to trial next month.
In a previously filed probable cause statement, prosecutors alleged that on the afternoon of the shooting, Gutierrez-Reed retrieved the gun from the prop truck and handed it to "Rust" assistant director David Halls without conducting a necessary safety check.
Prosecutors said Halls also did not request the safety check — which would involve Gutierrez-Reed showing Halls each dummy round in the gun — before he subsequently handed the weapon to Baldwin.
In March 2023, as part of a deal with prosecutors, David Halls pleaded guilty to unsafe handling of a firearm and was sentenced to six months' probation.
Production on the film resumed in early 2023 and wrapped up in May of that year.
— Alex Sundby contributed to this report.
- In:
- Alec Baldwin
- Halyna Hutchins
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (95)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- First Tulsa Race Massacre victim from mass graves identified as World War I veteran after letter from 1936 found
- Minnesota Vikings WR Jordan Addison arrested on suspicion of DUI in Los Angeles
- 40 crews called to fight stubborn fire at Grand Rapids recycling center
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Texas judge orders sheriff, school district to release Uvalde school shooting records
- When does 2024 British Open start? How to watch golf's final major of season
- Billionaire Ambani wedding festivities included Kim Kardashian, Justin Bieber performance
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Charmed's Holly Marie Combs Honors Fierce Fighter Shannen Doherty After Her Death
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Atlanta's Marcell Ozuna in Home Run Derby spotlight after arrests: 'I pray people can forgive'
- What to know about the attempt on Trump’s life and its aftermath
- Trump assassination attempt hovers over Republican National Convention | The Excerpt
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Amazon Prime Day Must-Have Swimwear: Ekouaer Stylish Swimsuits, Your Summer Essentials
- Blue-collar steel town tries to dig out from day of infamy after Trump shooting
- Search suspended for pilot and passenger after tour helicopter crash off Hawaii’s Kauai island
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
A prison union’s big spending on Gavin Newsom: Is it an ‘800 pound gorilla’ or a threatened species?
At the Trump rally, it was evening sun, songs and blue sky. Then came bullets, screams and blood
Signs of trouble at Trump rally were evident in minutes before gunman opened fire
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
2024 Olympics: BTS' Jin Had a Dynamite Appearance in Torch Relay
2024 Olympics: BTS' Jin Had a Dynamite Appearance in Torch Relay
Cartoon Network 'Mighty Magiswords' creator Kyle Carrozza arrested on child porn charges